Sunday, January 07, 2007

Elizabeth Zimmermann mystery shawl

This is from Knitter's #58, Spring 2000, "Remembering Elizabeth". What I'd like to know is if anyone recognizes this shawl. Does it appear in any of her books or pamphlets? Any idea about it's shape - rectangular or curved? I seek any info you might have on it's structure.

If I had to guess about materials, I would assume we are looking at a double strand of Shetland jumper weight yarn in a garter structure. Somewhere around a #4 or 5 needles perhaps. She was diminutive so I could be wrong about the gauge.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Pi Are Square, from Knitting Around

Anonymous said...

Offhand, I'd say it's her Pi Are Square shawl, which I believe is in Knitting Around.

If so, this is more or less how she did it:

Half the shawl (the back half) is a pi shawl, half a circle. You start with some number of stitches and double the stitches when you double the rows.

The other half (the two fronts) are the typical square, where you do a yarnover every other row.

There is a sawtooth sideways-knit border at the outer edge.

-----------

Yep, I just checked Knitting Around and that exact photo is in it on p.108. Directions follow on the next few pages.

The materials for the shawl she's wearing are shetland jumper weight wool blocked to a gauge of 5 st/in., roughly 12 ounces, roughly 26" depth of finished shawl.

A Sheep Thrills friend