Sunday, January 28, 2007

Seeking HELP - needle conversion/tension

I have been searching through all my links and paper bits but cannot find something that I know is out there. I SEEK a knitting needle / knitting machine tension conversion chart for standard and mid-gauge.

For example, if the pattern calls for a size 6(US) needle, about a 4.25 mm in English sizes depending on brand, will this fit on my standard gauge knitting machine? If so, what number on the tension dial do I start my swatching? Is there an approximate conversion. And what number on the mid-gauge?

Also, I wonder if the two machines can be correlated. For example, what number on the mid-gauge is a number 9 on the standard? Is there a way to calculate this? Do I add so much for every notch on the tension dial or something?

Please, if you know any part of these answers, please comment here. If this doesn't exist yet, we can keep a repository of the conversion numbers here. So to all machine knitters, this is a call for help and info.

No comments: