Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Marco Polo Sandwich

Ok, I seek a really obscure reference here. In the mid 70's in Pittsburgh I used to get a vegetarian sandwich that I remember to this day. Possibly in Squirrel Hill or Oakland, but I just can't place it now. Anyway, I do remember that it was a Marco Polo sandwich. More than one place carried this. It was miso and tahini spread on good artisan wheat bread. It came with slices of cucumber and then here is where it gets tricky. It had lemon juice and perhaps garlic. Maybe some sprouts or perhaps a tomato. Lovely wonderful memorable hard to eat sandwich. Filled your soul.

I have made variations on this theme for years, so I am really straining my old brain to come up with some details. I wish I knew where I was served this concoction. Also what exactly came on it - uh, standard (did it have onions?). Lastly, if you have any recipe that sounds like this but is called a Marco Polo, I would like to know about it. I am not interested in dips, sauces or dressings. I have recipes for miso tahini spread. I am seeking the Marco Polo, specifically. I know I saw it in some recipe book along the way but lost the book/brain link years ago.

4 comments:

MitraD said...

I don't know about the one in Pittsburgh, but I recently ate a marco polo chicken sandwich down under in AU and I was looking for the authentic recipe.

The one i had did have the standard toppings, with chicken, capsicum, tomatoes and onions and cheese...but what made it delightful was a chutney....I am pretty sure it was made of dates and something else. I tried replicating it at home with just dates and was pretty close to the taste....trying to figure out what the other ingredient was though.

Anonymous said...

I make a Marco Polo sandwich like that. I take a 15 oz can of sesame tahini, and blend it with a couple tablespoons (more or less) of light miso and the juice of one lemon. I spread this on ww bread with sliced apples. I used to put alfalfa sprouts on it too. It's great in the Fall when the apples are crisp

Unknown said...

I used to get a Marco Polo open faced sandwich at a restaurant in Atlanta Ga. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but the recipe i do remember. It was on an English Muffin, toasted. there was a sauce spread on the muffin that I don't know the ingredients of. There was a 1/4 inch slice of chicken breast, a 1/4 inch slice of ham, a slice of cheddar cheese, a broccoli spear, topped with hollandaise sauce, broiled until the cheese melted. It was scrumptious.

Unknown said...

I forgot to add a slice of tomato to the Marco Polo openfaced sandwich that I had in Atlanta, Ga.