Thursday, June 14, 2007

Seeking name - Murraya plant type

I have a lovely smelling plant in my backyard and I seek help with identification. I believe it is a type of Orange Jasmine or Jessamine. That would make it some type of Murraya but here is the problem. I don't get berries and after looking at thousands of photos of flowers, mine seem quite different. All the local garden people could tell me is that it is quite a rare plant. Ah...

Please note the size of the flowers and the height of the centers. Notice the amount of pollen on the leaves. Thick green leaves and large clusters of flowers. Oh, it smells heavenly and I wish I could capture the scent. It blooms once a year in NM, usually the beginning of June. I would love to know how to propagate it too. But first, a name. I seek the type of Murraya, so if you know, please jump in here.

5 comments:

Treesa said...

that looks an awful lot like privet or boxwood here in the west. when it blooms like that, my allergies go crazy. smells great, tho!

Lissa K said...

It looks like a large bush/small tree that my Mom has growing in her yard in California... the blossoms smell wonderful!!! She and my Granny always referred to it as 'Mock Orange'.
Lissa

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Florida and we had these all over the place. If my memory serves me (which is always a little tricky), it is a ligustrum (sp?) bush. The blossoms smell heavenly sweet, and the leaves are glossy and pretty. You can prune it after blooming just like a privet or boxwood hedge, and it's evergreen in Florida.

Kathy from Tacoma

Anonymous said...

Oops--forgot to link to my blog!

Anonymous said...

www.spinninginthespirit.blogspot.com